Thursday, February 4, 2010

This is "definately" a problem.

*Ahem*

For the last dang time, "definitely" is most DEFINITELY NOT spelled with an a! I don't know where the a comes from, because it's not pronounced "deffiNATlee" or "deffiNATElee," right? Or does everybody pronounce it wrong too? And if that's the case, then the problem is bigger than I had feared.


*A question for my fellow bloggers and any other good grammar and spelling advocates out there: do you see certain words misspelled or misused so often by the general public that you almost (ALMOST) forget the correct way to spell or use a word? I am ashamed to admit it, but just the other day, I almost used "you're" when I was supposed to use "your." Luckily, I caught it before it became too late. *whew!* (And isn't it usually the other way around? People using "your" instead of "you're?" Like, "YOUR so funny," or "YOUR welcome..." Heh, I guess it's gotten to the point where I've seen such constant bad grammar that my mind just doesn't know the difference anymore and will occasionally automatically pick the wrong word or the wrong spelling. Oh, the horror!!!!)

I raise my glass to good grammar and spelling. They are a dying breed.

2 comments:

  1. The way I usually hear it, you would think it is spelled "definutely."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also see a lot of "rediculous". After a while I started thinking I'm the one out of touch with dictionary.com and my 3rd grade spelling book. It isn't "diculous" all over again is it? Then perhaps it is ridiculous instead and really, how ridiculously difficult is it?

    Also, I see a lot of people type "women" instead of "woman".

    Example: I saw a women last night with purple hats and red dresses.

    That's all fine and dandy but drop the article or only speak of one woman. It drives me crazy. I see it all the time and I think to myself, I can't be the only one who cares ... can I?

    ReplyDelete